Monday 14 May 2012

My fascination with aviation

So I thought I'd write a blog about why I love aviation. I suppose I've always been into it. When I was a child, I would read aircraft books that my brother owned. And living not too far from the airport, I was never far away from an aircraft coming into land. I would spend hours watching aircraft with my Pops in the Summer, sat on the front doorstep of his house.

I live in Ashton-under-Lyne which is about 8 miles away from Manchester Airport. Planes tend to use Ashton as a line up point for an approach into MAN when runway 23R is in use. So this means we see pretty much all of the aircraft as it descends to land. We can observe aircraft anywhere between 6000ft & 2500ft.

I'm not sure why I've suddenly become even more interested in aviation recently, I just think something re-ignited the flame inside me & it's just gone on from there. I now know a lot more about aircraft than I used to & can tell what type of aircraft it is not only by looking at the plane itself but by other factors such as looking at the livery (eg Ryanair use only B737-8AS aircraft for their entire fleet) or listening to the sound of the engines.

I am particularly interested in the heavier/bigger aircraft such as the A380 or the B747. Recently I've developed an increasing love for the MD11 aircraft. I find something beautiful in the third engine on the tail. Other favourites include the B757 & A330.

My love for aircraft is purely aesthetic. It's all about the looks. There is something amazing about the symmetrical look you get when you see the aircraft head on. Here are some of my favourite ever photographs I've taken of aircraft.

Jet2 G-LSAM

Emirates A6-EDK

Emirates A6-EDR

Lufthansa Cargo D-ALCI

Jet2 G-LSAA

Lufthansa Cargo D-ALCI

See more here.

This post wouldn't be complete without a mention of the Airbus Beluga. What an aircraft! So beautiful & graceful! It is unmistakable even when flying at 40000ft. I usually spot this aircraft when it visits the Airbus factory in Broughton, North Wales.

Airbus Beluga F-GSTA

Thanks for reading & don't forget to leave a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Skipper Update 2018

Here's an update to my Skipper Butterfly blog I posted earlier this year. I have photographed them for 8 years now. Hoping to do so for ...