Sunday, 10 October 2010

~ Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. ~ Stanley Horowitz


I love autumn. So much. The leaves are on the turn! Falling to the ground. The colours are beautiful; red, orange, yellow. This season is full of beautiful things & lots of fun.

Hot chocolate, conkers, warm fluffy socks, wool jumpers, hot water bottles, blankets, hats & scarves. The heating is on & you're settled by the telly or the computer, warm & cosy, while outside the wind & rain make sure every last leaf on the trees are knocked to the ground. Only the lucky ones are still there in the morning, still clinging on for life; holding on to their lifeline until the next storm breaks. The animals are gathering their supplies for the long winter ahead. Freezing temperatures; would you want to go outside with only a fur coat for protection?

My favourite holiday/event of this season has to be bonfire night. I suppose you could say it is my favourite of all time. We dine on 'tater ash. It's made of potato, carrots, gravy, mince meat & onion. I suppose you could say it is like a Lancashire hotpot. We also have Parkin for afters which is a sort of ginger cake. We have fireworks & sparklers outside, wrapped in our warm clothes, gloves on, boots on, the rain beating down on us. Some nights it is clear; crisp clear skies present us with the stars to gaze at in between the artificial stars on our lawn put on brave shows.

Autumn inspires me.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you had a blog. Or if I knew - I sure didn't remember. You will have to explain to me what conkers are :)
    And also what bonfire night is. It sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had it a little while but I don't use it that often :)

    & ah yes! I will give you links to information as I am not too good at describing things!

    Bonfire Night - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

    Conkers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

    :)

    ReplyDelete